Presentation musee et jardin


In 1789, there were 4,000 hectares of vineyards in Brioude and its region. 100 years later, the area of vineyards had doubled in size.

Of the 2,770 hectares of the Commune of Vieille-Brioude, 450 were covered with vineyards. It was said at the time that between Brioude and Vieille-Brioude, "one could not toss his hat without it landing on a vine stock".

Of this heritage, which contributed greatly to the area's livelihood, only a few vineyards remain today, maintained by the last enthusiasts.

In 1983, the idea of creating a vineyard museum was born in order to preserve the last remaining testimonies. We must recognize the fact that, unlike other regions, such as Saint-Pourçain or Beaujolais, the equipment has not evolved.

A first development saw the light of day at the foot of the church with the plantation of 100 vines of Beaujolais Gamay entrusted to the care of the community employees.

It was not until 1996 that the museum project was completed. At that time, the gardens surrounding the church returned to the commune with the departure of the last resident priest serving the Commune.

The museum garden project is implemented by a team of volunteers who, each year from January to June, spend half a day a week building, renovating and installing the equipment collected from the inhabitants of the commune.

The official inauguverreration took place on 27 June 1998 under the aegis of the Prefect of Haute-Loire, surrounded by parliamentarians, Mayors of the Brivadois and the municipality and the local population.

In 1997, the 2nd prize for the environment awarded by the Auvergne Region crowned the work done.

Each year, the museum is enriched with new achievements and the maintenance carried out by volunteers fully lives up to the museum's needs.

Their reward: the recognition of the many visitors who come to stroll in this haven of peace and who do not fail to sign up in the Golden Book.

In 1989 a magnificent wine press was also erected on the Croix des Prés square, probably acquired in Burgundy and restored in 1873.

It was in service at Vieille-Brioude for many years, then donated to the municipality for its exhibition.

It is the starting point of a pleasant stroll that will take you to the Allier bridge, under the museum and through the typical old streets. The Chemin du Goun," named for a local inhabitant who often used it to satisfy his passion for fishing, will make you discover the rich vernacular heritage carefully maintained by successive town councils and inhabitants.

The museum is open free of charge from Easter to All Saints' Day, from 9 am to 7 pm.